Over the past few years, there has been a turmeric craze on the internet. It has gained popularity because it has been touted as a “miracle spice”. People (including myself) have eagerly stocked their kitchen and bathroom cabinets with this golden spice because it is a great additive for curries and sauces, helps ward off headaches, relieves heartburn and provides a healthy “glow” when applied to the skin. Honestly, #SelfcareSundays wouldn’t be the same without a selfie of a girl sporting yellow mask!
For those of you who are like me and have taken on the role of kitchen beautician, it may be tempting to incorporate this miracle spice into your homemade shampoos, conditioners or hair treatments but I have four words for you, ”DON’T DON IT SIS!” Although turmeric is amazing when applied to the skin, it should never be applied to your scalp, unless you are going for a Grace Jones/Amber Rose/Me'shell Ndegeocello bad baldie b*$#h look.
So here is the brief 411 on turmeric, depending on how it is used, it can either promote hair growth or hair loss. Now when it is applied to the skin, turmeric is an effective and natural hair remover. So constantly applying it to your scalp will ultimately result in hair fall and ultimate hair loss.
When ingested, however, turmeric has been proven to activate the body’s Vitamin D receptor genes which control the cycle of hair growth. Therefore, the more you ingest turmeric, the longer the hair growth cycle which results in (fingers crossed) longer hair.
If you are interested in using turmeric as a growth aid, try out this yummy tea recipe:
- coconut, almond or tigernut milk – 1 cup
- fresh turmeric – medium-sized piece
- fresh ginger – medium-sized piece
- raw honey – 1 tablespoon
- black pepper - pinch
- coconut oil – 1 teaspoon
1. Put the turmeric, ginger, pepper, coconut oil and half of the milk in the blender.
2. Blend the ingredients until they are completely smooth.
3. Warm up the other half of the milk in a saucepan and remove it from the stove once it starts to bubble.
4. Add the heated milk to the blender and blend all the ingredients until they are smooth.
5. Pour the mixture into your favorite mug or teacup and enjoy!